Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Story of A Villain in FInding Her Justice : Renegades By Marissa Meyer

Pe-yo!

Recently I had finished reading Renegades and what I can say that is not I entirely love this book but I certainly not hate it either. On a Likert scale of 1 to 5, I would this book on 4. It wasn't a fast paced novel but it wasn't slow either. It was entertaining but still not enough. Maybe I had watched a lot of superheroes movies, I found this one just mediocre. On overall the writing was superb as you can expect from Marissa and her world building was too simple on my opinion. Maybe she can elaborate more on how does a prodigy gain power at the beginning and why they were oppressed that would be amazing.

Renegades is a story of Nova, who was born with prodigies superpower. Her family involved with the world's most villain at that time called Ace Anarchy, who at the same time her uncle. (Whoops, spoiler alert! Sorry.) So, towards the end of the chapter one, her family was murdered by the other villain gang (currently at that time, there were a lot of villain other than her uncle) which lead Nova to involve with a villain later because her family was betrayed and did not receive the protection they were promised by this superhero group called 'Renegades'. Time lapse, Nova grew and became a villain called Nightmare and she together with her friends, on a mission to kill Captain Chromium who is the leader of the Renegades. Long story short, they failed and Nova's friend got caught but they were unfazed (this was such a true moment of a villainous act), and Nova herself had made herself known to the world.

The story expand by Nova put herself in a new disguise and made the Renegades play catch the dog tail which I think was genius and dangerous. The risk of exposing her true identity was always in jeopardy. Towards the end, Marissa served us the final chapter that makes me a little bit confused there. Did I read it right or that I was so lazy that I skipped some words to the part that Ace Anarchy was still alive after all? And what really happened with Sketch's mother. What mystery surrounding his mother death and really I ship Sketch and Nova.

So, a few days ago Marissa told us in her twitter account that Renegades not only will be given a second book but the third book will also be published on 2019! The synopsis for the second book says that The Detonator is alive after the head shot done by Insomnia which was a charade to make people thinks that was the end of Ace Anarchy gang. The continuation book call 'Archenemies' and I really hoped that the book was as good as 'Heartless'. Yes, among many Marissa's work, I love-love-love 'Heartless'. Although the ending was predictable and you hope for some kind of plot twist happened there, nope, Marissa sticks to the true event and that makes it great! Especially the last lines was "off with his head!"

Hah!

Of course, I would end my post with a life lesson learned from this book. One word. 'Irony'

It was like having a humanoid with the word 'truth and irony' plastered to its face, slap your face multiple times. Well not my face but the character's face. Nova entered the Renegades to destroy the organisation but the organisation itself holds her uncle most valuable asset of all.Adrian is a superhero but he can only be a superhero under a heavy suit with Renegades and villain after his life. Both Adrian and Nova aside from having a good chemistry, they are enemies who cover their faces and demand truth from each other. Seriously, how irony can this book be?

No comments:

Post a Comment